Point Cloud to As-built Model of a Coffee Chain Outlet, USA
Type of Project: Point Cloud to BIM › Coffee chain outlet
- Autodesk Revit
- Autodesk Navisworks
- Autodesk BIM 360
- Autodesk Recap Pro
The client is a leading surveying company based in the USA. They provide building survey, design, construction, and management solutions to a global clientele. For one of their projects, the client needed an as-built model of a coffee outlet to get a detailed roadmap for renovation and retrofit of 200+ coffee outlets in Los Angeles.
- Convert 3D laser scans into point cloud to BIM Models for future renovation and retrofit of 200+ coffee chain outlets.
- Create information-rich 3D point cloud to Revit models of the existing construction facility with +/-10 mm tolerance along with detailed floor plans, roof plans, cover sheet, site plan, elevations and sections in a short time frame of 16 weeks.
Input: Point Cloud Scan Files
- Overcoming challenges of inaccurate scans and large volume of scanned data
- Making calculated assumptions for spaces that were not visible in scans was a time-consuming process
- Meeting a short project deadline of 16 weeks
Execution of the Point cloud to BIM project:
- The team at HitechDigital analysed the 3D laser scans and point cloud data sent as input by the client. They segregated the files and deleted duplicate files.
- Then the team created an initial mesh model of the scanned data points to get a basic 3D topography of the store facility.
- For spaces with lower density of points, the team made calculated assumptions regarding the dimensions, and created a Revit model using references from the 360 photographs shared by the client and sent it to the client for approval.
- The team then developed cut sections along with detailed floor plans, roof plans, cover sheet, site plan, elevations and sections.
- Stringent QC and audits as per pre-defined parameters were conducted to ensure accuracy of all Revit (.rvt) files.
Point cloud to BIM solutions/ deliverables
HitechDigital’s team of 200+ Autodesk Revit certified experts created high quality FTR (First Time Right) deliverables. These included:
- A detailed 3D point cloud to As-built model with +/-10mm accuracy in 16 weeks
- A combined PDF file with cover sheet, site plan, floor plan, building section, reflected- ceiling plan, above- ceiling plan, roof plan, interior elevations, etc. for building condition assessment.
Output: Interior and Exterior 3D Revit Models of Cafe
How BIM improved productivity for the point cloud project
Using BIM for this project helped:
- Get precise spatial planning, material orders, and QTOs
- Improve interdisciplinary co-ordination
- Keep stakeholders on the same page with a real-time updated model
- Optimize workflows
- Get detailed information for future maintenance and repair of the property
What were the benefits of using BIM in the Project:
- Reduce overall project time and complete project within stipulated time
- Save project costs due to improved decision-making
- Accurate resource allocation
- Improved collaboration among stakeholders
- Short TAT (Turnaround time)
Project value addition with point cloud to BIM:
Using point cloud to BIM enabled the client to:
- Get greater project clarity during the pre-construction stage
- Make smarter decisions regarding renovation and retrofit of the café
- Get savings of time and costs due to early identification and resolution of potential design as well as operational issues
- Improved project productivity due to project completion within time and budget
Type of Work