IMPLEMENTING DESIGN AUTOMATION IN BIM
Algorithm and Programming Workflows in Building DesignBIM Implementation 3D / VDC Workflows
The power of Algorithm and Computational design laced with programming workflows as a vital part of Building Information Modeling; has been consistently utilized by designers to deliver projects at a time close to the speed of light.
- Created a conceptual model of the proposed building in Rhinoceros 3D. This is a typical 3D solid form of the model without any special features. Revit was used as the BIM authoring tool
- Imported the conceptual model into Grasshopper for Rhino using the Geometry container.
- Created floor profile boundaries from the conceptual 3D form and played around floor boundary rotations using the 'Graph Mapper' component in grasshopper
- Still using the same 3D form, I created other building components such as the lift pit, perimeter wall, curtain wall and internal wall boundaries which changes position with varying input parameters. A number of Python scripts were developed to compress long algorithms workflows in Grasshopper.
- With the Revit plug-in installed in grasshopper, Revit elements were created using the grasshopper geometry curves, boundaries and surfaces. Model element materials were also specified in Grasshopper.
The future of design in the AEC industry is automation. This is because every client wants their projects realized as fast as possible and this is one process that helps achieve that. Also, unnoticeable mistakes during designs of high rise buildings would be greatly curbed.