Make your BIM career grow
National BIM Manager
Smith and Andersen is seeking a National BIM Manager preferably to work out of the Toronto office. Revit is a revolutionary design tool, and you are eager to champion this design tool to a national, respected team of designers and engineers. As our National BIM Manager, you will manage a team of talented BIM Specialists and Technicians, dedicated to developing, maintaining, and updating company-wide Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP), and Information Communication and Automation Technology (ICAT) BIM standards, workflows, documentation, and templates. You enjoy digging into details and creating custom solutions that will enhance the company’s overall vision for BIM, and are confident when presenting your recommendations to Senior Leadership. You are creative, organized, and passionate about collaborating with and educating others. Prepared to provide technical leadership to both peers and direct reports, training and mentoring staff across Canada, you will guide our teams toward the future of BIM at Smith + Andersen.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Liaise with leadership and senior engineering teams on the strategic direction and vision of BIM development and production for multiple disciplines (i.e. Mechanical, Electrical, ICAT, and Sustainability).
- Liaise with design and engineering staff in order to understand the design flow process and the role of BIM in design with the goal of increasing workflow efficiencies.
- Manage BIM content by developing, maintaining, and updating company-wide BIM standards, families, libraries, workflows, documentation (such as BIM execution plan), and templates as required. Communicate expectations internally to employees.
- Build and manage a dedicated BIM development team and work with BIM Specialists and Technicians company wide to achieve the company’s BIM vision.
- Provide technical leadership, mentoring, and coaching to BIM staff across all Smith + Andersen group of companies.
- Organize and chair internal cross-country BIM meetings, including agenda development, record of minutes, and progress updates to senior leadership team.
- Facilitate the relationship between disciplines and regional locations to further enhance and develop processes and tools.
- Participate in professional development through the involvement in industry organizations and BIM initiatives, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of emerging technologies.
- Source training on BIM software, processes, and new technologies. Liaise with external vendors as required.
- Develop and/or evaluate new BIM related software and technologies to improve firm needs, workflow process and efficiencies.
- Provide deployment strategies for new BIM related software and hardware implementation efforts by collaborating with internal IT department.
- Assist IT department with user queries related to BIM and assist with enhancing the methods of working with BIM programs.
- Set up and manage the implementation of BIM software products, including but not limited to Revit, Navisworks and IMAGINiT Clarity by incorporating new version releases and customizations as required.
- Attend strategic meetings with external clients, such as architects, to ensure an agreed to BIM execution plan is followed and provide feedback when needed.
- Assist leadership team with human resources related activities, including staff recruitment, development, performance review, and team member relations.
Here are a few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- Minimum five years’ experience in a BIM leadership role.
- College diploma in Architecture, Mechanical or Electrical building services program or a related field of studies (diploma or degree) with relevant work experience.
- Advanced working knowledge of Autodesk Revit, Navisworks Manage, and other relevant design software. Working knowledge of Dynamo and Python programming software is an asset.
- Previous experience in a similar capacity within building services environment is preferred.
- Multi-discipline knowledge of building services considered an asset
- Previous working experience in strategic development of BIM families and templates.
- Knowledge of BIM 360 required.
- Solid understanding of the direction of BIM and its impact on the building services industry.
- Strong understanding of the industry installation practices for mechanical and electrical systems such that what is developed in BIM is a close representation to what a contractor can build on site.
- Strong relationship-management skills. Able to build a harmonious work environment that encourages continuous improvement within the BIM development team and among BIM users.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate with the BIM development team, design teams, and external BIM teams or clients.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Self-motivated to problem solve issues quickly, efficiently, and creatively.
- Results driven; proven work record to execute vision, work plans, and strategies.
- Proven multi-tasker and ability to determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com. To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Number of vacancies
Technical Architect/Engineer Building, Mechanical engineer.
Autodesk Revit, Navisworks Manage, BIM 360.
Will be valued
Dynamo and Python programming software.Strong organizational and analytical skills. Self-motivated to problem solve issues quickly, efficiently, and creatively.