Technical Area | Articles
The place to solve all your BIM doubts
Distinguishing between BIM and RevitBIM Implementation Classification Project
Confused? Not to worry….
Let us clear the misconceptions and seek answers to what really BIM and Revit mean. Are they similar or distinct?
This article intends to answer the Questions regarding BIM and Revit and clarify the differences between the two as most of the people assume to consider Revit & BIM the same.
1. Are Revit and BIM the same? Are BIM and Revit software?
- We often come across people addressing Revit as BIM all together. But the fact is, Revit is not BIM.
- BIM (Building Information Modelling) is a process/technology/ platform and Revit is one of the many BIM tools/applications available like ArchiCAD, AECOsim, Edificius etc.
- Revit is a BIM based software widely used by Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Designers to create a unified model consisting of real-life information.Source: Autodesk
- It is a design and documentation platform that enables you to use a single, integrated building information model to conceptualize, design, and finally document a project.
- Revit software enables you to attain virtual modelling i.e. get a virtual model of the building or infrastructure before it is actually done on-site.
- The tools in Revit software are designed specifically to support BIM allowing users to create an intelligent model with data stored in it. These tools if used properly can help you avoid rework, minimize cost, detect conflicts before constructions happens on-site, avoid delays etc.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an intelligent 3D model-based PROCESS that involves digital representation of physical and functional characteristics of a facility.
- BIM is a shared knowledge resource for information about a facility forming a reliable basis for decisions during its life-cycle; defined as existing from earliest conception to demolition.
4. Can Revit replace BIM?
- Revit is a software used for making drawings and virtual models for a project. Autodesk Revit was created to support BIM and not to replace BIM.
- It is as simple as- Revit supports BIM. The drawings and other documents generated by Revit form a part of the Building Information Model.
5. What is the role of BIM & How does Revit support BIM?
- The role of BIM is to link all information relating to a building and incorporating it to produce a comprehensive a 3D model. BIM has to rely on different software to collect this information for a project and compile it together.
- Revit is one of the BIM software to create BIM based model. It combines the architectural design, structural engineering design and MEP models for coordination. Also, it helps in making a data-rich model based on the inputs.
I hope, I was able to clear the doubts that may arise in one’s mind with regards to BIM and Revit and was able to draw a line between BIM and Revit for those who considered them to be the same.
Would you all like to know what all things/wonders Revit and BIM can do together?
Then, find my next blog on “Things that Revit and BIM can do together.”
Till then, let me know if you have any further queries on BIM. I would be glad to address them.
-BIM will make it easy!!